An all time favourite of mine is Pasta alla Puttanesca – pasta and sauce in the `Harlot’ style. This is a robust southern Italian sauce with chili peppers, capers, olives and anchovies. Here we play on the `quickness’ of making the sauce, add mushrooms and make this a meal with the addition of poached eggs.
Poached Eggs in the Style of `Puttanesca’
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, assorted, sliced
- 1/3 cup black olives, pitted
- 8 oz Marinelli’s Tomato & Basil sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed
- 2 anchovy, fillets
- ½ cup basil leaves, slivered
- 4 slices Calabrese bread, thick, toasted
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, olives and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a small pot of water to boil with a splash of vinegar. Lower to a simmer and poach the eggs until the whites are set and the yolk is still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the capers, anchovies and basil leaves into the mushroom mixture and season to taste. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the bread and top with a poached egg.
Serve with a robust red wine and enjoy!!.