Mussels alla Marinara
The simple elegance of fresh mussels steamed in tomato sauce are readily available these days and fairly simple to prepare any night of the week!
- 2 slices of prosciutto thinly sliced
- ½ diced small onion
- ½ cup good quality white wine (optional)
- 3-4 cups Marinelli pasta sauce
- 2 pounds fresh mussels (well cleaned)
- 2 Tbsp washed and minced Italian parsley or basil
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- In a large deep skillet at medium high heat combine Olive oil, prosciutto, onion, garlic and cook till the onion becomes translucent (this will take 3 to 4 minutes)
- Add white wine and cook for approx. 1-2 minutes to reduce slightly and cook off any alcohol.
- Add Marinelli sauce and simmer partially covered for approximately 5 minutes.
- Gently add the mussels into the sauce then cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until they open… Be sure to discard any that do not.
- Once cooked immediately remove from the heat so as not to overcook the mussels.
- Spoon gently into warm bowls with sauce and sprinkle with Italian parsley or basil to finish.
- Serve with a crusty bread or baguette or dipping into the sauce.