Hearty Kale, Garbanzo Beans and Egg Ragout
I would call this a hearty ragout - the ingredients are healthy, straight forward and absolutely delicious! Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil for added aroma when ready to serve.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta – diced
- 6 ea garlic cloves – peeled and minced
- 1 ea onion – peeled and diced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds – toasted
- 1 jar Marinelli Sauce® (Tomato Basil)
- 2 cans garbanzo beans – drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 lb kale- washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- 6 ea eggs, poached
- parsley – chopped
- Reggiano cheese - grated
- In a large saucepan, add extra virgin olive oil and place on medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until lightly browned and rendered.
- Add onions and fennel seeds - toss to coat. Cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and heat through. Do not allow to brown.
- Add sauce, beans and stock. Bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning as required.
- Stir in kale and allow to cook for about 2 – 3 minutes. The kale should remain vibrant green.
- Ladle into warm bowls and place poached egg on top. Garnish with parsley, cheese and extra virgin olive oil as required.
Note: for a vegetarian friendly recipe, eliminate pancetta and substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.