Roasted Eggplant with Salted Ricotta on Fresh Pasta
A Neapolitan classic of eggplant, tomato and cheese. Keep this sauce chunky and use a short noodle to provide body and texture.
Serves 6 – 8
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ea eggplants – Sicilian type, peeled and 1” diced
- 2 ea onions, white – peeled and ¼” slice
- 4 ea garlic cloves – peeled and sliced
- 1 small red chili, fresh – sliced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 jar Marinelli Sauce® (Marinara)
- sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs pasta, fresh – fusilli, penne, garganelli, gemelli or similar
- 8 oz ricotta salata cheese - crumbled
- fresh basil, parsley - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Toss the eggplant in ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray that has been lined with parchment paper. Roast until browned and tender, about 20 -25 minutes.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add remaining oil. Add onions, garlic and chili pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic and wine. Add Marinelli Sauce® and heat through. Add eggplant and stir gently.
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain when done.
- Toss pasta with sauce and serve in warm bowls.
- Garnish with salted ricotta cheese and herbs sprinkled on top.