A simple ’cucina povera’ recipe prepared with minimal ingredients and fuss definitely warms the soul! The amount of polenta you make is up to you as most prefer different ratios. Leftover sauce and polenta are great reheated the next day or stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
(Note: This recipe can also be made vegan by substituting the pork with diced roasted veg or meat substitute)
Serves 3 – 6
- Polenta ( this can be traditional, prepared, or instant )
- 6-7 Links of Plain Butchers Italian pork sausage (salt and pepper only) casing removed
- ¾ cup water
- 1 jar Marinelli Sauce® (Marinara, Garlic or Arrabiata)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Prepare plain polenta (water only) as per instructions, set aside and keep warm. Note: do not add any fats like butter, milk, cream or cheese as this will alter the flavor and texture of the final dish)
- Remove sausage from casing and place in a large heavy bottom sauce pan with water and cook at medium high heat. Break up meat with the back of a wooden spoon and cook till water is completely reduced while stirring occasionally. *Hint: if the sausage is too lean feel free to add a drizzle of evoo
- Stir in Marinelli Sauce® and bring to a simmer for approx 3-5 minutes then remove from heat and cover to keep warm *Hint: if you feel the mixture is too dry you can always add a little water while simmering
- Add polenta to warmed bowls or spread a layer of polenta on a warm flat dish approx. ½ thick.
- Spoon on sauce to desired amount and finish with grated cheese and a drizzle of EVOO!