Savoury Tomato Bisque
The addition of balsamic gives the bisque a flavour lift but it is the ginger that adds a wonderful zest to the end.
Makes about 8 cups
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea onion - spanish, peeled and sliced
- 1 small carrot – peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 knob ginger – peeled and sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp flour - all purpose
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 jar Marinelli Sauce® (Tomato Basil)
- 2 cups cream, 35%
- sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 ea green onion or basil – thinly sliced
- balsamic glaze – to taste
- In a medium sized sauté pan over moderate heat, add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic, ginger and bay leaf. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender and fragrant – about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until the mixture is lightly browned.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Puree using an immersion blender or kitchen blender.
- Return to the pan and add the cream. Allow to heat through until soup is hot.
- Season according to taste.
- Serve in hot bowls, garnished with green onions or fresh basil and balsamic glaze to taste