Zuppa di Pesce
An abundant and aromatically intoxicating dish, this rich fish soup is classically prepared using what is available at the fish market. Have fun with the selection and change it up based on what you like and what is fresh at the market.
Serves 4 – 6
- 8 oz clams – well cleaned
- 8 oz mussels – well cleaned
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 ea garlic cloves – peeled and sliced
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 6 cups fish stock, well-seasoned
- 1 jar Marinelli Sauce® (Marinara, Garlic or Arrabiata)
- 4 - 6 oz monkfish loin – cleaned and sliced into medallions
- 4 – 6 oz swordfish fillet – cut into 4 – 6 pieces
- 4 – 6 oz grouper fillet – cut into 4 – 6 pieces
- 4 – 6 oz red snapper fillet – cut into 4 – 6 strips
- 2 pc squid – cleaned and cut into rings
- 8 oz shrimp, large – cleaned
- 1 ea red chili – sliced
- sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- parsley, fresh
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pan over high heat, add clams, mussels, wine, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook until shells are open, shaking the pan from time to time. Once cooked, remove shellfish from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the fish stock, Marinelli Sauce® and bring to a simmer. Add the monkfish, swordfish, grouper and snapper. Cook for about 3 – 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Add squid, shrimp and reserved clams and mussels. Cook just until done. Adjust seasoning.
- Ladle into each warm bowl a selection of fish and shellfish.
- Garnish with red chili, parsley and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Delicious served with toasted bread that has been rubbed with garlic.