Conchiglioni Ripieni (Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Jumbo Shells)
A simple spinach and ricotta recipe that combines three different cheeses and Marinelli sauce for a hearty vegetarian meal.
- 16 jumbo Pasta shells (Cooked as per package directions. Include a few extra in case they break)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves freshly peeled garlic (crushed)
- 4 cups fresh spinach (packed and chopped) note:(this may also be substituted with frozen spinach, make sure to squeeze out all the water before using.)
- 12 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large fresh egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ Marinelli sauce (tomato and basil or marinara)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet at medium high heat add the olive oil and garlic and sauté briefly. Add the fresh chopped spinach and sauté till wilted. (if you are using frozen make sure the majority of the water has evaporated.) Set aside and allow to cool.
- With a wooden spoon in a large bowl combine the spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, reggiano, egg, salt and pepper until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread 1/2 cup Marinelli sauce into a shallow 8”x8” baking dish.
- With a spoon fill each shell with a good amount of the filling and place in the baking dish.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and bake covered with aluminum foil for approx 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the sauce begins to bubble and a little browning occurs 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with grated Parmigiano Reggiano to finish and drizzle of evoo (optional)