Eggs in Purgatory
Eggs and jar of Marinelli Sauce® in the pantry is all you need to make this popular Italian staple. Aromatic tomato sauce and gently poached eggs…so easy and versatile, it’s a great brunch, breakfast or anytime meal.
- 1 Jar Marinelli Sauce® (Any Flavor)
- 3 Large Eggs
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Freshly torn Basil leaves (optional)
- Certified extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling at the end)
- Fresh Italian bread or toasted baguette
- Heat Marinelli Sauce® in a large skillet or cast iron pan, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- With the back of a spoon create 3 divots in the sauce.
- One at a time, crack an egg into a ramekin and gently drop into the sauce divots. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Cook until whites have turned opaque, but yolks are still runny, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top eggs with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, torn basil, freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of EVOO to finish.
- Serve fresh Italian bread or toasted baguette along side the eggs.